DLNA Server: Samsung 550 Series LCD and Mediatomb

ln40c550 40 inch LCD 1080I picked up a 40″ Samsung 550 Series LCD the other day. Initially, my plan was to stream digital video from USB storage through a media streamer like Apple TV, Boxee, or the Seagate Free agent GoFlex. Turns out this TV is pretty well equipped to just play video streamed from my Debian server, so it pretty much cuts out the middle man.

Samsung has an application called Allshare which you can install on Windows. Mediatomb is an alternative to Allshare if you’re running Linux.

It depends what you want, so if you want a real media center like Boxee or XBMC, use your PS3 or Xbox or something like that. I didn’t feel like buying yet another box/appliance so I installed Mediatomb on my Debian machine and was watching my shows in about an hour. It’s programmed in C++ and has a simple xml control file. It’s really easy to install, so here’s how.

Step1: Install Mediatomb:

sudo apt-get install mediatomb

Step 2: Configure Mediatomb:

Add the following to the server section of config.xml. The following DLNA code is the key:

<custom-http-headers>
<add header=”transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming” />
<add header=”contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01700000000000000000000000000000″ />
</custom-http-headers>

You’ll probably also want to configure your mime types like this in import/mappings/extension-mimetype

<map from=”avi” to=”video/x-msvideo”/>
<map from=”ts” to=”video/mpeg”/>
<map from=”divx” to=”video/mpeg”/>
<map from=”mp4″ to=”video/MP4V-ES”/>
<map from=”mkv” to=”video/x-msvideo”/>

Lastly, under section <server> change the following to ‘yes’:

<protocolInfo extend="yes"/>

Source

And that’s pretty much it. You’ll probably want to turn on the GUI initially and you can do that in /etc/mediatomb/config.xml under section <server>:
<ui enabled=”yes”

Now you can configure which folders you’ll want to share to your Samsung 550 series LCD TV by going to the following address. If you have usernames set to ‘on’, the default username/password is mediatomb/mediatomb.

Enjoy. I’ll be back with some cool mediatomb hacks.

14 thoughts on “DLNA Server: Samsung 550 Series LCD and Mediatomb

• Pingback: Serviio Media Center on Debian » Big Fat Ostrich

• November 18, 2011 at 12:02 am

Thanks mike!

• January 2, 2012 at 8:00 am

Hi,
    I Have Samsung TV LA32D550 , and i use PCLinuxOS,
    unfortunally mediatomb from PCLinuxOS repos doesn’t have config.xml
    please, could you share you config.xml file ?

Thanks before.

• January 3, 2012 at 1:07 am

I have try using config.xml from avs forum, but when i play file, it’s always say “Not Supported File Format.”
    Then i try using config.xml include from debian package, and edit it according to your information above, but i still getting “Not Supported File Format.”

Now i try using PSM (ps3mediaserver) , it’s work but it’s heavy, sometimes the server disconected and need to restart…

trying ushare and mediatomb, but it cannot detect the file i’am share from my harddisk….

• January 3, 2012 at 1:19 am

@teguh
    sory i mean i trying ushare and serviio, but can not detect the file ‘am share from my harddisk…..

• January 3, 2012 at 1:31 am

@teguh
    Hi Teguh, I’ve had that error in the past as well and it was due to permissions. I’ve had that error on some movie files and changing them to 644 perms fixed the problem.

• January 3, 2012 at 2:10 am

@mike
    Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.
    I will try it later after i get home.

• January 3, 2012 at 8:41 am

Hi Mike,
    Somehow it’s work now, it’s not because file permision, change to 644 still cannot play with “Not Supported File Format.” error.

But, it work after change :

i can play it now….

btw, how to add rmvb to mediatomb ? i try add One Piece movie 01 with rmvb format, but mediatomb not adding to database.

• January 4, 2012 at 12:53 am

@teguh
    Cool, glad to hear it works!

For Real Media stuff, you need to add these to your config.xml under the appropriate sections:

Under Mappings add this line: map from=”rm” to=”video/realmedia”/

And transcode mimetype=”video/realmedia” using=”mencoder-int”/ under mimetypes.

Hope that helps!

• January 4, 2012 at 6:16 am

@mike
    Oke thanks for the reply….

But i’am still stuck with transcoding…. somehow it not working…
    i try to transcoding detective conan series with avi format, because of GMC and Packed bitstream, i try to trancode it… but not working…
    Try to trancode ogm not working too…..

I have try using the latest mediatomb from svn, but transcoding still not working…

• March 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I needed to connect a fedora 16 server to a 7 series Samsung SMART TV. Thanks for these instructions but unfortunately they didnt work for me. Neither did UShare.

What did work was MiniDLNA – I recommend trying it if all else fails. No file type configuration was required.

• December 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thank You for this comprehensive tutorial. I works!